The side mills are the first coffee mills patented by Charles Parker. Those mills were made of cast-iron with sheet metal hoppers, mounted on a wooden back, very similar to Increase Wilson mills (patented back in 1818).
Parker No 0-3 are the first models. The only difference between those were the size. Between 1850’s through the 1890’s produced the Union Side Mill series. (No. 10, 15, 20, 30) No. 30 Union side mill was the largest of the seris, the back measuring 9″ x 12″.
Another variation of wood back mills appeared around 1860’s. The series was called the Eagle Side Mills. (No. 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100) No 50. is the smallest and No. 80 is the largest of the series. No 90 Eagle Side is also a large mill, generally used in stores and hotels.
Charles Parker Side Mills for Sale
The Parker side mills sell really quick. Because of its all cast-iron build, a lot of them were preserved in good condition.
Another variation of the side mills are No. 350, 360, 370, and 450, 460, 470. The 350-370 series were often called the “Kentucky Hinged Top” mills. They were made of oil-finished hardwood backs, and the metal parts were black Japan.
No. 450-470 has the detachable coffee receptacle.